CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, February 21, 2009

living without a net. . .

This is Matt again and I am feeling brave tonight. I want to try to get through a small tribute to my Grandma Sperry who past away recently. Grandma was always there for me smiling in the background (just like the picture above). My grandma was more than extraordinary. . . she was amazing. She had style, humor, patience, flar, and warmth. She has played a large part in the person I am today by example and acceptance. I was blessed to live close to my grandma as a child. I remember burning leaves with her in front of her old white house. I remember her sending me out to get the clothes off the line after dark. (she was afraid of the dark until the day she died). I remember running to her house during the summer for sandwiches and the Andy Griffith Show. I remember being sick at school and having her bring me home for Coke from the bottle and slim jim beef jerky. She was my friend, she was my safety net. When my heart was broken, she would tell me how dumb the girl was and how great I was.
Grandma's was always felt like home to me. She made me feel better about myself and where I was going in life. I think about her everyday now, and feel a little bit scared about how things will go on for all of us left behind without her. Maybe she stayed around just long enough until she was sure or Heavenly Father was sure we could fly on our own without her.

One thing is for sure. . . she will always be there for me seen or unseen smiling in the background.
Miss you.

6 comments:

Krystal

Matt, that was a very sweet tribute to your grandma. She does sound like she was an extraordinary lady. Hope you are doing okay without your net.

Tink

We all miss Granny, it's hard to think of her being gone. As the tears slide down my cheek, I can't help the smile that breaks through my lips just thinking about her. I love her, I miss her too. Thanks for sharing.
Love Trina

Jill

Perfect tribute.... thanks Mattie. I miss her too.... always will. Aren't we blessed to have that? Someone who was so great we'll always miss her? Love ya most! mom

Marie Says Yes

thanks for putting in words the way we all felt and feel. it's amazing she made us all feel so loved and safe and special. what a grand lady! i miss her, too, every day. and i think that would please her! knowing that she was and is so loved. so rock on, grandma. and 'somewhere out there?' are you trying to rip out my heart with a wooden spoon!??! thanks for your advice today. good thing we're gonna aflict you with medical questions the rest of your natural life!!! liv is on the mend, we think and expect. she also sounds like she has a disease that belongs to a cow. go figure.

yoske: what happens when an eskimo is lost.

Tam

I am so sad to hear of your grandma's passing. She seriously had to be one of the best people I knew...so sweet, caring, and just a plain good person. The last time I saw her was nearly two years ago. Mary Dawn was home for a while and I went to visit her. We met up at your grandma's. I had such a good time visiting with her and remembering some of the fun memories. You've got great shoes to fill with such a wonderful grandma!

Ducksoup

thanks for the sweet tribute matt. you made me cry. i miss grandma so much. i said to ryan yesterday, i'm glad she is where she is but i still wish she wouldn't have died :). doesn't really make any sense i know but perhaps you can relate. it's amazing to me to think she was soooo loved by soooo many people. wow, what an amazing lady! thanks for sharing :)